Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Hot Dog Heaven - Who Cares?

Listen to this review from Gayot:

"Hot Dog Heaven has been operating for more than a decade in the same little concrete block building along busy Colonial Drive. Walk up to the spotless counter, then take your dog outside to one of the concrete picnic tables, or eat inside perched on a stool at high white counters that face the walls. The menu is nothing but hot dogs, french fries and ice cream, but these aren't ordinary hot dogs, they're authentic Chicago hot dogs in natural casing that gives you the pop as you bite in. There are about 36 varieties on themenu---the most-ordered is the Chicago hot dog, served on a steamed poppy seed bun, topped with mustard, relish, onion, tomato, pickle and hot peppers. The Rueben dog has Thousand Island dressing, Swiss cheese and kraut. Our favorite is the chili, cheese and slaw dog with an order of perfect fries."

I just don't see what the big deal is.  The buns are just like the cheap ones at the store except with some poppy seeds on them.  The hot dogs themselves seem identical to the cheap ones at the store.  And then they put some toppings on, all of which you could easily buy at the store...  I had the Reuben, and the sauerkraut wasn't even good.  The fries are good, but nothing remarkable.  And then they don't have ranch or any dipping sauces (unless you count mustard or ketchup, which I don't).  That sucks for me because I can't even enjoy fries without something good in which to dip them.  I eventually paid .42 for some mayo, with which I mixed some salt, pepper, hot mustard and a little ketchup.  After asking about the ranch, I first asked if I could get a little cup of the 1000 island dressing, and the guy actually told me they didn't have any.  Um...there was some one my Reuben hot dog...wasn't there?  I had difficulty even getting the stupid mayo as the guy I asked was dismissive of my requests and questions.  His tone was basically, "Oh we are too busy selling our amazing, authentic, Chicago style hot dogs to deal with your dipping sauce needs.  Who doesn't love the deliciousness of ketchup, anyway?"  Ugh, tomato paste with corn syrup and a few spices, not exactly a culinary wonder.    All of the other sides are just bland and run of the mill.

Furthermore they only serve Pepsi products.  Blech.

No comments:

Post a Comment